Acts of Parliament
See the index for the full list of Acts relating to children, schools and education and for notes on the texts.
Education (Scotland) (War Service Superannuation) Act 1939
Passed at the outbreak of World War II, this Act allowed war service to count towards Scottish teachers' superannuation schemes.
The text of the Education (Scotland) (War Service Superannuation) Act 1939 was prepared by Derek Gillard and uploaded on 27 November 2019.
Education (Scotland) (War Service Superannuation) Act 1939
© Crown copyright material is reproduced with the permission of the Controller of HMSO and the Queen's Printer for Scotland.
1. War service by teachers to be reckoned for superannuation.
An Act to enable war service to be treated as service under any scheme framed in pursuance of the Education (Scotland) (Superannuation) Acts, 1919 to 1937. [5th September 1939.]
BE it enacted by the King's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-
War service by teachers to be reckoned for superannuation.
1. For the purposes of the Education (Scotland) (Superannuation) Acts, 1919 to 1937, and of any scheme made under the said Acts or any of them (hereinafter referred to as "the Scheme") -
(a) a person who has given war service for part of the period between the date on which he was admitted or accepted for admission to preliminary training or to a training centre or college and the date on which he completed his course of training shall be deemed to be a teacher;
have been given during the period immediately preceding the date of such completion;Contributions not to be payable except in certain circumstances. 15 & 16 Geo. 5. c. 55.
2.-(1) Notwithstanding anything contained in section two of the Education (Scotland) (Superannuation) Act, 1925, the payment of contributions shall not be required in respect of any teacher engaged in war service for any part of the period of such service unless for that part -
2 & 3 Geo. 6. c. 90.
(a) payments are made to or in respect of him under section one of the Local Government Staffs (War Service) Act, 1939; or(2) In the application of the said section two to any period in respect of which contributions are payable by virtue of the last foregoing subsection, references in that section to the education authority, governing body, or other body of managers by whom the teacher is employed shall be construed as references to the education authority, governing body or other body of managers by whom the teacher was employed immediately before undertaking war service.
Payment and collection of contributions in exceptional cases.
3.-(1) Where, by virtue of the last foregoing section, contributions are payable for any period of war service of a person who is or who is deemed, by virtue of section one of this Act, to be a teacher within the meaning of the Scheme, and who was not immediately before undertaking war service employed by any education authority, governing body or other body of managers, the amount of the said contributions shall be an amount equal to seven and one half per centum of his salary
and the said amount (together with compound interest thereon from the date when the payment became due, calculated at four per centum per annum with yearly rests) shall be recoverable by the Secretary of State either directly from the teacher or by deduction from any sum payable to him or to his legal personal representatives under the Scheme.
(2) Two-thirds of any sums paid or recovered under this section shall be treated as contributions by the teacher and one-third as contributions by an employer.
Foregoing provisions not to apply in certain cases.
4. The foregoing provisions of this Act shall not apply -
2 & 3 Geo. 6. c. 91.
Reckoning of war service by persons to whom foregoing provisions do not apply.
5.-(1) Where -
(a) a teacher to whom the provisions of sections one to three of this Act do not apply; orhas before giving war service been in any employment which may be treated as service for the purpose of making up a definite period of completed years of service under the Scheme his period of war service shall be deemed for all purposes of the Scheme to have been a continuation of such employment.
(2) Any period of war service which is not treated as service or employment under any of the foregoing provisions of this Act may nevertheless be regarded as constituting part of the period of thirty years' service prescribed as a condition of benefit under the Scheme.
Provision as to persons called out or under training.
6.-(1) The provisions of Article 12 of the Reserve and Auxiliary Forces (Consequential Provisions) Order, 1939, shall not apply with respect to any part of any person's period of service as a person called out which falls during the period of the present emergency.
(2) The provisions of Article 6 of the Military Training (Consequential Provisions) Order, 1939, shall not apply with respect to any part of any person's period of training which falls within the period of the present emergency.
(3) In this section the expression "called out" has the same meaning as in the Reserve and Auxiliary Forces (Consequential Provisions) Order, 1939, and the expression "period of training" has the same meaning as in the Military Training (Consequential Provisions) Order, 1939.
7. In this Act unless the context otherwise requires -
"War service" means service, during the period of the present emergency, in any of the naval, military or air forces of the Crown, or any service during that period which the Secretary of State considers may properly be treated for the purpose of this Act in the same manner as service in those forces, or any employment during that period in civil defence service;
Citation and commencement.
8.-(1) This Act may be cited as the Education (Scotland) (War Service Superannuation) Act, 1939, and the Education (Scotland) (Superannuation) Acts, 1919 to 1937, and this Act shall be construed as one and may be cited together as the Education (Scotland) Superannuation Acts, 1919 to 1939.
(2) This Act shall be deemed to have come into operation at the beginning of the period of the present emergency.
(3) This Act shall apply to Scotland only.