Acts of Parliament
See the index for the full list of Acts relating to children, schools and education and for notes on the texts.
Education Act 1975
View a copy of the original:
Education Act 1975 (pdf image 721kb).
The text of the Education Act 1975 was prepared for the web by Derek Gillard and uploaded on 16 June 2014.
Education Act 1975
© Crown copyright material is reproduced with the permission of the Controller of HMSO and the Queen's Printer for Scotland.
An Act to make further provision with respect to awards and grants by local education authorities; to enable the Secretary of State to bestow awards on students in respect of their attendance at adult education colleges; and to increase the proportion of the expenditure incurred in the maintenance or provision of aided and special agreement schools that can be met by contributions or grants from the Secretary of State.
[25th February 1975]
[25th February 1975]
BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-
Awards and grants by local education authorities. 1962 c. 12.
1.-(1) Section 1 of the Education Act 1962 (local education authority awards for designated first degree courses or comparable courses) shall apply also to such courses at universities, colleges or other institutions in Great Britain and Northern Ireland as may for the time being be designated by or under regulations made for the purposes of that section as being -
(a) full-time courses for the diploma of higher education or the higher national diploma; or
(2) Paragraph (b) of subsection (1) of the said section 1 (eligibility for award dependent on possession of requisite educational qualifications) shall apply only in relation to courses for the time
being designated for the purposes of that section as being comparable to first degree courses.
(3) Section 2(1) of the said Act of 1962 (local education authority awards for courses of further education not falling within section 1 of that Act) shall apply also to any course for the training of teachers (whether held in Great Britain or elsewhere) to which section 1 of that Act does not apply including, in relation to a person undergoing training as a teacher, any course which he attends as such training and which is for the time being designated under section 4 of
1973 c. 16.
the Education Act 1973 (postgraduate courses).
(4) Subsections (2) and (3) of section 4 of the said Act of 1962 (regulations under sections 1 to 3 of that Act) shall apply also in relation to subsection (1) above; and subsection (6) of that section (meaning of "training" and "person undergoing training" in section 2 of that Act) shall apply also in relation to subsection (3) above.
Awards by Secretary of State for students at adult education colleges. 1962 c. 12.
2. In section 3 of the Education Act 1962 (awards by Secretary of State for certain courses) after paragraph (c) there shall be inserted -
"(d) to bestow awards on persons who, at such time as may be prescribed by the regulations, have attained such age as may be so prescribed, being awards in respect of their attendance at courses at any institution which -Contributions and grants for aided and special agreement schools. 1967 c. 3.(i) is in receipt of payments under section 100 of the Education Act 1944 or section 75 of the Education (Scotland) Act 1962; andand for the words "in the case of awards bestowed in accordance with paragraph (b) or paragraph (c) of this section" there shall be substituted the words "in the case of awards bestowed in accordance with paragraph (b), (c) or (d) of this section".
3. In sections 102 and 103 of the Education Act 1944 and section 1(2) of the Education Act 1967 (contributions and grants by Secretary of State equal to or not exceeding four-fifths of certain expenses incurred in the maintenance or provision of aided and special agreement schools) for the words "four-fifths" there shall be substituted the words "85 per cent.".
4. The enactments mentioned in the Schedule to this Act are hereby repealed to the extent specified in the third column of that Schedule.
Citation, interpretation, commencement and extent.
5.-(1) This Act may be cited as the Education Act 1975.
(2) The Education Acts 1944 to 1973 and this Act may be cited together as the Education Acts 1944 to 1975.
(3) Any reference in this Act to any enactment is a reference to that enactment as amended by any subsequent enactment.
(4) Subsection (2) of section 1 above shall not come into force until 1st September 1975; and subsection (3) of that section and Part I of the Schedule to this Act shall not come into force until the first regulations made by virtue of subsection (1)(b) of that section come into operation.
(5) Nothing in section 3 above or in Part II of the Schedule to this Act affects contributions or grants in respect of expenditure on work which was begun before 6th November 1974 or on the provision of the site on which, or buildings to which, any such work was done.
(6) This Act does not extend to Scotland or Northern Ireland.